Welcome to the ninth installment of the EVE Blog Banter and its first contest, the monthly EVE Online blogging extravaganza created by CrazyKinux. The EVE Blog Banter involves an enthusiastic group of gaming bloggers, a common topic within the realm of EVE Online, and a week to post articles pertaining to the said topic. The resulting articles can either be short or quite extensive, either funny or dead serious, but are always a great fun to read! Any questions about the EVE Blog Banter should be directed here. Check out other EVE Blog Banter articles at the bottom of this post!
“Last month Ga’len asked us which game mechanic we would most like to see added to EVE. This month Keith “WebMandrill” Nielson proposes to reverse the question and ask what may be a controversial question: Which game mechanic would you most like to see removed completely from EVE and why? I can see this getting quite heated so lets keep it civil eh?”
Mike checked in with the stolen documents and made sure the correct transfer AND the huge deposit were now in his account. Sometimes it was nice to switch the mind into neutral and just run a few errands while checking the latest investments and comparing price notes with buddies in other sectors. He decided that the successful, if not eventful, day deserved a little celebration and he headed for a bar close to the docking areas. The room was full, or close enough to it that he could not get a table alone so he sat by the bar and listened to the conversations around him.
“I will give you double what you give me. It’s a bet, see? If I manage to give enough away another guy will pay me ten times that amount. So I benefit in the long run and you win right up front.”
Mike snorted. It was amazing that some folks still went for this. He preferred the more complex game of chicken . . .each person sent more back than he had received till one ‘chickened’ and took the pot. the other guy lost, but if you chickened too soon, you only made petty cash, too late and the money went to the other guy.
These two went off with their drinks and another pair took their place. “Sure it is a small corporation, that is why this is such a golden opportunity.” The little weasels hair could be used to grease bearings. His voice had a whine in it that set Mikes teeth on edge. “You can join the corp for free but we will have a limited share run and the major share holders will also have the officer positions. Why if you buy enough shares you will have the best position in the corp.”
“Nah, don’t be a dupe. Ya wanna be the guy holding the purse strings . . . the one who has access to all the hangers and the corp wallet.”
“But I thought the CEO did that.”
“In a small corp sure, but once we hit the big time there will be a Chief Financial Officer. CFO is the way to go, buddy boy. CFO lets you be in large and in charge. Everything of worth will be passing through your fingers. I’d tell ya to do some research and try to find out how much cash goes through a big corps fingers but there is a few other folks looking at these same stocks. If ya don’t move on it soon then they’re gonna snap up these stocks.”
“Uh, why aren’t you taking them yourself?”
“Time my friend, time. I got responsibilities with a wife and kids and cannot stand spending day after day counting the billion isk that has come in for the day. Nope, but I thought you might be the right guy for the job . If ya ain’t let me know and there’ll be no hard feelins.”
Mike had never fished but this looked like a small jerk on the hook, trying to make it look tasty to a fish.
“So I’d be in charge of the cash? All I put in would be right where I could see it?”
The fish was swimming closer.
“Right after the corp elections, yup. You’d not have a worry about your money going away because it would be right there working for you.”
“It sounds good but a buddy told me . . . ”
“I know, if it sounds to good to be true it probably is.” The huckster sighed and made to leave. “But ya ever wonder how other folks get real rich? They know the difference between a golden opportunity and a scam.” He slid off of the stool and turned. “Hopefully, in ayear you won’t look back at this and wonder how rich you coulda become.” One more dramatic sigh (Mike thought that one was overdoing it) and he stepped away, slowly.
“No! Wait!” The mark chased the weasel out of the bar babbling something about selling some ‘plex’s and wanting ‘in’.
“Hook, line, and sinker” Mike let his mind drift and he could hear the latest lesson in the back of his mind, slowly uploading. there is not a complete identity between the a2sb1 and N parameters, it is obvious that they are closely and directly related and therefore can be interchangeably used in a qualitative evaluation of the rheology of a liquid system. Newton’s law of viscosity . . .
We each pay for our educations in different ways. That lad was about to get a very real education, albeit an expensive one.
I quote from 2002-10-24
EVE-ONLINE: THE SECOND GENESIS RELEASE ANNOUNCED
EVE ONLINE will have a unique “stock exchange ” in which gamers will be able to purchase stock in corporations. The stock exchange will go up and down as trades occur, just like the real world.
I am not mad, or caring that this did not materialize. The game is fantastic, with or without it. But the remnants of the idea should be removed until they are implemented. The shares and stock exchange may come someday (I am not holding my breath) but in the Help channels it is one of the questions asked on a regular basis. How do you buy shares in . . . .
Implementation would be an easy removal of a bit of code here and there. Like removing an appendix. Some thing that does little but can go really bad if the wrong thing happens. [I know that is not the best analogy, please do not inundate me with you google medecine searches]
My humble opinion (ok, I don’t do humble real well) about a removal of vestigial game mechanics that will hurt nothing and clean up my game a bit. I think this could be done without a forum uproar (except maybe from the ‘bearing greasers’)
List of Participants:
1. Diary of a Space Jockey, Blog Banter: BE GONE!
2. EVE Newb, (EVE) Remove You
3. Miner With Fangs, Blog Banter – It’s the Scotch
4. The Eden Explorer, Blog Banter: The Map! The Map!
5. The Wandering Druid of Tranquility, “Beacons, beacons, beacons, beacons, beacons, mushroom, MUSHROOM!!!”
6. Inner Sanctum of the Ninveah, Kill the Rats
7. Mercspector @ EVE, Scotty
8. EVE’s Weekend Warrior, EVE Blog Banter #9
9. A Merry Life and a Short One, Eve Blog Banter #9: Why Won’t You Die?
10. Into the unknown with gun and camera, Blog Banter – The Hokey Cokey
11. The Flightless Geek, EVE Blog Banter #9: Remove a Game Mechanic
12. Sweet Little Bad Girl, Blog Banter 9: Who is Nibbling at My House?
13. One Man and His Spaceship, Blog Banter 9: What could you do without?
14. Life in Low Sec, EVE Blog Banter #9: Stop Tarnishing My Halo
15. Cle Demaari: Citizen, Blog Banter #9: Training for all my men!
16. A Mule in EVE, He who giveth, also taketh away?
17. Dense Veldspar, Blog Banter 9
18. Morphisat’s Blog, Blog Banter #9 – Randomness Be Gone !
19. Facepalm’s Blog, EVE Blog Banter #9: What a new pilot could do without
20. Memoires of New Eden, You’re Fired
21. Kyle Langdon’s Journeys in EVE, EVE Blog Banter #9 Titans? What’s a Titan?
22. Achernar, The gates! The gates are down!
23. Speed Fairy, EVE Blog Banter #9: Down with Downtime!
24. I am Keith Neilson, EVE Blog Banter #9-F**K Da Police
25. Ripe Lacunae, The UI… Where do I begin… (Eve Blog Banter #9)
26. Clown Punchers, EvE Blogs: What game mechanic would you get rid of?
27. Estel Arador Corp Services, You’ve got mail
28. Epic Slant, Let Mom and Pop Play: EVE Blog Banter #9
29. Deaf Plasma’s EVE Musings, Blog Banter #9 – Removal of Anchoring Delay of POS modules
30. Podded Once Again, Blog Banter #9 – Do we really need to go AFK?
31. Postcards from EVE, 2009.07.02.00.29.06
32. Harbinger Zero, Blog Banter #9 – War Declarations & Sec Status
33. Warp Scrammed, Blog Banter 9 – Never Too Fast
34. Ecaf Ersa (EVE Mag), Can a Tractor Tractor a Can?
35. Thoughts from an Accidental Minmatar Revolutionary, EVE Blog Banter #9 – Aggression timers, WTs and Stargates
36. Mike Azariah, I don’t put much stock in it…
37. More articles as they are posted!